Monday, June 25, 2007

An Exhibition of Interlocutional Snippets

Exhibit A

[Woman @ Work has buttonholed me in regards to "Sheila"]

W@W:
Did you know that Sheila doesn’t like you?

Me:
[possibly sarcastic]

OH MY GOD!

W@W:[smiling in that way that gossipy-shits like to smile]

You don’t care?

Me:
[staring at her through my eyebrows]

W@W:
Really?

Me:God for-fucking-bid Sheila doesn’t like me.

W@W:
Well, she did...up until you did that "C-word" routine.

Me:
[thoughtfully]

That was pretty great.

[pause; remembering the good times]

Pretty super great.

W@W:She doesn’t like that word.

Me:
Which is, of course, why I did it.

[with a sparkle in my eye]

Were they not legitimate questions?

W@W:
[smiling]

She is a "cunt-try" girl.

Me:
How else would I have found that out?

[reliving the magic]

What about when I interrupted her, only to tell her to "cunt-tinue"?

W@W:
She was complaining to anyone who would listen about your use of language in the office.

Me:[smiling]

Wow.

[pause]

What a cunt.

Exhibit B
[pacing & smoking on a residential side-street, Mr. Neighbourhood Watch comes out of his yard to chat]

Mr. Neighbourhood Watch:
What are you doing?

Me:
[looking at my cigarette]

Smoking.

[pause; friendly]

What’re YOU doing?

Mr. Neighbourhood Watch:
I live here.

Me:Awesome.

Mr. Nieghbourhood Watch:So, again, what are you doing?

Me:
[wallowing in the glow of his agitation]

You mean, what am I doing on this public road that you don’t own, smoking my cigarette on this road that isn’t your house or your property, where I can stand if I so desire because it’s a public road that you don’t own because it’s a public road that isn’t your house?

Mr. Nieghbourhood Watch:[pause]

Yeah.

Me:[stifling laughter]

Good question.

Mr. Neighbourhood Watch:
There’s been a rash of burglaries around here, lately.

Me:Oh, yeah?

[look at his house]

Have you been burgled?

Mr. Neighbourhood Watch:[eyes narrow]

No...

Me:[nodding head]

Lucky you.

[nodding, smiling; looooooong pause]

You live right there?

[He just stares at me, leaving my question rudely unanswered and watching me finish my smoke]

Me:
Well, it’s been a pleasure.

Mr. Neighbourhood Watch:[no response, save for the veins in his neck bulging with rage]

Me:[as I’m getting into my car, I point at his house]

Right there?

[He looks at his house; by the time he looks back I’m down the road – I’m still waiting to see if there'll be a composite-sketch of myself on the news under the headline, "East-Hammertown Bandit"]

Exhibit C
[Random conversation about bowling, of all things, with a Teenaged Girl in the elevator]

Teenaged Girl:
I hate powling.

Me:[wondering if I heard her correctly]


Um...

Teenaged Girl:
And I really hate mini-butt.

Me:
[with strong pronunciation]


Mini-butt?

Teenaged Girl:PUTT.

[embarrassed]

I have trouble with p’s and b’s.

Me:Ah.

Teenaged Girl:Not just saying them, but writing them, too.

Me:You must really hate "peanut-butter".

Teenaged Girl:
No.

[confused]

I like beanut-putter.

No comments:

Post a Comment